More than 20 Labour MPs now facing criminal action over failing to declare visits by Angela Rayner’s battlebus as Election expenses_Nhy
More than 20 Labour MPs could face criminal action for failing to declare visits by Angela Rayner‘s battlebus during last year’s General Election, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
A dossier identifying 24 MPs who were visited by the bus but did not itemise it as an expense has been sent by the Conservatives to the Electoral Commission.
Failing to register all election expenses is a crime, with those found guilty facing up to a year in jail. The bus, which racked up 5,000 miles during Labour’s campaign, was also hosted by frontbenchers Lisa Nandy and Anneliese Dodds.
Ms Nandy, now Culture Secretary, dubbed it the ‘Nandwagon’ when she was on it, while Ms Dodds – who resigned as development minister earlier this year over cuts to foreign aid – christened it the ‘Doddsmobile’.
In his letter to the Commission, Shadow Levelling Up Secretary Kevin Hollinrake argued that the Battlebus visits effectively became a rally and press conference for each candidate, and would then be used to promote the candidate on social media.
Mr Hollinrake also highlighted other constituencies visited by the bus where it is unclear whether the right declarations were made. He wrote: ‘I believe a full investigation is required. There is a submerged iceberg of undeclared spending.’
Investigators at Tory HQ drew up the dossier by scouring social media for records of the bus and cross-checking them with the official expenses returns from Labour MPs.
The move is likely to be seen as revenge for the criminal investigation into the Tory battlebus used in the 2015 campaign, which led to a failed prosecution of Tory MP Craig Mackinlay over the South Thanet contest against Nigel Farage.

Labour MPs could face criminal action for failing to declare visits by Angela Rayner’s battlebus during last year’s General Election, The Mail on Sunday can reveal (file photo)

Lisa Nandy (pictured), now Culture Secretary, dubbed the bus the ‘Nandwagon’ when she was on it

Anneliese Dodds (pictured) – who resigned as development minister earlier this year over cuts to foreign aid – christened it the ‘Doddsmobile’

Britain’s Labour Party launch their election campaign ‘Battle Bus’, with party Leader Keir Starmer, Deputy Leader Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves
Tory HQ had failed to class the huge cost of the scheme as a local constituency expense, as required by the law.
The RoadTrip 2015 battlebus campaign was the idea of activist Mark Clarke, dubbed the ‘Tatler Tory’, who told then chairman Grant Shapps he could target key marginal seats by bussing in young activists. The trips became synonymous with tales of hard drinking, sex and partying.
Mr Hollinrake said: ‘In tight races across the country, Labour MPs have benefited from Labour’s battlebus without declaring it.
‘Cabinet Ministers are involved, who must know better. The Labour party must now come clean about the true extent of this abuse. Even with this damning evidence, this is the beginning not the end.
‘There are serious questions to answer. The Electoral Commission should undertake a forensic investigation working alongside the police.’
James Roochove, the head of the election law team at solicitors Astraea Linskills, said: ‘Election law strives to create a level playing field for all candidates.
‘It cannot be the intention of Parliament and the courts that this then leaves some candidates at a clear financial disadvantage.
‘Having had sight of Mr Hollinrake’s letter, I will await the response from the Electoral Commission with great interest.’
Labour insists that all the relevant declarations have been made with regards to the battlebus, in line with the rules.